

World Cup madness!!! I can't believe my night... It's really quite funny and I think some of you will be mad at me since I didn't actually watch the game but instead I went to see a Lindsay Lohan movie. HA. As embarassed as I am to admit it, it's still quite funny don't you think? Here's what happened...
I was having a pretty mellow day and thought it'd be nice to go and see a movie. I knew the world cup was happening tonight but I was neutral on the France/Italy thing so I didn't really care to sit in a crowded, smoky bar just to watch a game in which the outcome meant nothing to me. As I was getting dressed to head to Leicester Square to go to a movie... any movie really... I was just in the mood for a movie in general... Meg called me. "Come to Trafalgar Square, there's going to be a big screen showing the World Cup!" Alright, I thought that'd be cool... can see a movie anytime. Well, when I got to Trafalgar Square, nothing was happening, no big-screen, and the girls had moved on to a pub. I found them standing right below the only TV in the place, breaking their necks, no beers in hand cause the place was too crowded and still to even get to a pint, and I thought it looked like a pretty miserable scene so I said I was just going to walk over to Leicester Square to catch a film. Well I didn't have the 14-20 films I expected to be able to choose from; in fact, I only had two - the better being a silly Lindsay Lohan romantic comedy... and I can't believe I really went to see it but I did. On my way to the theatre, though, there were people standing outside of every pub and restaurant I passed, watching the game through the windows. A crowd of about 30 people were standing outside of The Hard Rock Cafe Casino watching a 13" TV.
Once the movie ended (thank god, it was terrible, OBVIOUSLY, but at least it was air conditioned!), I left the theatre there was madness happening - Italian flags being waved, singing, dancing, that song "Oleeeee, ole ole ole! Oleeee! Oleeee!" You know the one! I took plenty of videos and pictures. Then I followed the crowd a bit and ended up in Picadilly Circus where the BIG party was - the streets were PACKED with people and everything was very upbeat with singing and dancing - no fires or fights or drunken messiness like one might expect in the states. I was standing in the center of it all, chatting with some boys from Minneapolis, and an Italian man came running toward me, grabbed my face, and kissed me on both cheeks, then yelled "Italia!!! Italia!!!!" HA I was afraid he was going to kiss me on the lips... ya really never know. Then he and his friends gathered around me and he hugged me and jumped around and everyone was yelling "ITTTT-AL-IA!" Next, he turned to the boy from Minneapolis and said "We did it for Rooney! F*** the French! F*** the Germans! ITALIA!" and hugged and kissed him... and as quickly as they embraced me, they moved on and continued their party elsewhere.
I don't regret not watching the game - the post-party really captured everything about the World Cup that I like. I took a bunch of videos so check them out and see what I saw! (They're all very short, about 15 seconds each or so)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home