Here is a list of things that make me think "These cheeky brits!"
(cheeky - adj. - smart ass, mischievous) (and maybe some random things in this list that i just like)
+ The water faucets. Everywhere you go, there are two faucets. One is for hot water and one is for cold water. So while your left hand is suffering 3rd degree burns, your right hand is getting frostbite, and you're trying to mix the two together and there is a strange formulation of cupping and throwing and blending that really just results in an uncomfortable experience.
+ The electricity in my flat. It's coin operated. As my mother said, "You're living at a parking meter." Pretty much! I have to put a £1 coin in, turn the dial, and "recharge" my supply of electricity. I can see myself taking a weekend trip to Paris and coming back to a refridgerator full of spoiled food. But since I'm becoming a true European, I'll only buy enough food to last me a day or two. Plus that means more trips to my Notting Hill supermarket a.k.a. more chances to bump into that Hugh Grant lookalike that smiled at me the other day... hmmmm
+ Pubs close at 11 or 12 at night! But the clubs... the clubs are open well into the morning. :)
+ The right side of the road/street vs. the left side of the road/street. I'm not going to simply sit here like an ignorant American and complain about Brits being "weird" for driving on the "wrong" side of the road. That's not it at all. What's curious is that we drive on the right and we also walk down the street on the right and stand on escalators on the right (passing on the left). Well, they drive on the left, walk down the street on the left, the middle, and the right, and don't really move out of the way when you're coming toward them in your supposed correct location; and they stand on the right on escalators and pass on the left. There are even signs advertising to do so.
+ The slang. I moved aside for someone to get by on the tube, and he smiled at me and said "Cheers, darling." I love it! Other great slang = Dodgy: Sketchy, shady;
Jumper: Sweater; Loo: Restroom; Pissed: Drunk; Cheers: Thank you or Goodbye.
Cheeky brits! Their 4 weeks of paid holiday policy, though, that's something I could never question. This will be an ongoing list :) Cheers!
10 Comments:
I always wondered if they walked on the left side of the road. Interesting... I'm going to have to do some studying before I come for a visit. I have been reading some trashy British chic lit books recently but I think I'm learning bad slang, like snog. hahah. Have a good night bub,
ME
Haha... I just read what "snog" means. The BUNAC handbook has a list of a bunch of slang. Believe me, there are worse :) I will save those for more appropriate times heh..
Well put. You could be a journalist. i'm learning so much.
Riv
so ive been sitting here wondering where the sassy resonse to your mother losing her beer was. i totally wrote it last week and nada. o well. hope you're having fun darling :o)
i just want you to know i got bored, so i was googling names. i cracked up when one link on your was this
http://www.voxonline.com/alternative/fuel/fuelwins.htm
you would
Riv - Hi! Thanks for reading my blogs :) How are you doing?
Courtney - Thanks for publicizing my embarassing moment of high school. I can't believe that's still floating around on the internet. Yes, everyone, you all know I was obsessed with the band fuel back in the day and yes I wrote an essay about it (go ahead, make your fun), and YES I won a contest. I am the ultimate dork. Enjoy. At least you know I'm cool now hahah ;)
I just had to go back and read about that Fuel contest. You were obsessed. Remember the tickets you won and then trying to find the band for the supposed after party they invited us to? What a bunch of losers (them, not us of course!!!).
Talk to you soon-
ME
o doooooooooooood !!! i dunno! i dnANT HELP IT ur amazint.g! i lvoe !!! you!! YAaa~!y.... sorry for psting that. but hey... it cule be worse/;//// rea;;;;y!!!!!!!!!. WOW! LOCW U!! REALIEZED IM FRUNK. TTYL. LOVEYOUBUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ha ha haha. drunken comments. i love it.
I would just like to formally apologize to all of Stacy's blog readers for my drunken comment. This is why I need constant supervision. I am now on a mission to find out what other damage I did while in my inebriated state. :o)
Post a Comment
<< Home